A truly poignant tribute took place on Sunday, November 7th, at the Military Cemetery on King's Island. In attendance were, uniformed members of the Royal British Legion, Limerick Branch, our Mayor, Daniel Butler, Dean Niall Sloane, members of the Order of Malta, and some members of the public. Prayers were said by the Dean of St. Mary's Cathedral. The bugler sounded The Last Post, following which a small wooden cross was placed on the resting place of each of the 37 soldiers interred in the cemetery. Following the remembrance ceremony members of the Royal British Legion, Limerick Branch, proceeded to the nearby St. Mary's Cathedral for a special memorial event.
CARETAKER'S OUTSTANDING SERVICE
At the conclusion of the ceremony, caretaker of the cemetery for many decades to date, John Sparling, was presented with a beautifully framed award by the Chairman, Kevin Milligan, on behalf of the Royal British Legion, Limerick Branch. Bearing the magnificent emblem of the said Branch, it stated: “This Certificate of Appreciation is awarded to John Sparling, for his outstanding service as the caretaker of the King's Island Military Cemetery.”
IN FLANDERS FIELDS
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row by row,
That mark our place,and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard beneath the gun below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders Fields.
Take up the quarrel with the foe:
To you, from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow,
In Flanders Fields.
LIEUTENANT-COLONELJOHN McCRAE: (November 30, 1872 – January 28, 1918) was a Canadian poet, physician, author, artist and soldier during World War I, and a surgeon during the Second Battle of Ypres, in Belgium. He is best known for writing the famous war memorial poem "In Flanders Fields".
THE PASSING OF A LADY
Our local community has been shocked upon hearing of the death of Margaret Lyons of Assumpta Park. During her lifetime, Margaret had been employed at Danus Clothing Factory, O'Donoghue's on King's Island, and at Treacy's on Nicholas Street. A mild mannered polite person, Margaret was blessed with a strong character. She possessed that rare gift of sincerity. She was thought very well of by all the customers she served over many decades, always pleasant and never loud. She will be greatly missed within our area. We extend our deepest sympathy to her family. May the Light of Heaven shine forever on her beautiful soul. Her sun declined long, long before life's dusky night crept in.
Don't forget that we now have a Museum situated on the King's Island inside the old St. Munchin's Church. This has proven to be an ideal home for this cultural venture. And, of course, completing this, King John's Castle has renewed its original vibrancy following the dreaded pandemic. Two excellent outdoor eating amenities are available on Nicholas Street, that of Katy Daly's and Bakehouse 22 (Tracy's), the former with strong wooden tables and comfortable chairs, and the latter having stepped up valiantly to the new call for outdoor eating by having a very stylish enclosure erected, most eye-catching indeed. A little further down the street there is the Cinema Café, formerly Stix.
Work is being carried out on the vacant green just a few paces from Katy Daly's pub. Already about twenty or more bicycle fixtures have been put in place and that part looks great. I don't know what is going to emerge on the rest of that patch but for sure it is going to be a lot better than what has existed for the past decade and more.
NICHOLAS STREET NOW
We have two public houses, a printer, a seamless sewing emporium, cleaners, the men's shed, three fine eating enclosures, a very well stocked grocery shop, an antique shop, a brewery, and as well as all that, work is transpiring on the shop that used to be Ann Sullivan's antique shop.
ARIST TIMOTHY COLLOPY 2
“The handsome amount collected from the subscriptions enabled the budding artist to be sent to Rome where he had plenty of scope to nourish and improve his gift. Two contemporaries of his during his sojourn in Rome were, Hugh Hamilton, one of the most distinguished artists of his time, and also Henry Tresham. The latter remained his friend for life and was one of the executors of Collopy’s will. By the time he returned to his native city he had become a consummated portrait painter. He was widely patronised by the wealthy of both city and county. He lived in Dublin for a period of time where his address was 112, Grafton Street. He eventually settled in London but did not seem to have gained prominence in the artistic arena while there. He did, however, become quite the expert in the art of cleaning and restoration of pictures and paintings. It appears that this type of expertise proved quite a lucrative occupation for him. He was most handsomely rewarded for his work on the collection of the Marquis of Bute in London. He never married and died in 1811. Following his death, some of his works were auctioned at Christie’s Auction Rooms.
A truly magnificent painting of the Ascension, measuring roughly 14x28, and painted in 1782, was presented to the Augustinian community in Limerick by the artist in appreciation for the major part they had played in nurturing his talent by making it possible for him to travel to Rome to further his studies. Yet another massive painting by this talented artist, which is named ‘The Taking Down from the Cross,’ hangs in St. John’s Cathedral.” (This piece of mine, which has a definite Parish connection, was first published in “Ireland's Own.”)
ANCIENT HOLY WATER FONT
There are three entrance doors to the Augustinian church. If you enter by the middle door or the door on the left, you will dip your finger in a very ancient stone holy water font. The inscription on the front of each states: “From this Font Holy water was taken in the Augustinian Church in Creagh Lane till 1823, then in Old St. Augustine’s till 1941.” I think it was around that time that they came to occupy that spectacular stone building on O’Connell Street, (then known as George’s Street), that had been used as a theatre. There is also an interesting inscription grafted into the stone exterior of this much-loved church.